Sunday, May 4, 2014

Life South of the Border

A very good friend of mine posted on FB yesterday that she was missing mexico. The first comment was someone asking "Why??" But I already knew the answer to her question. If you've ever stayed in Mexico for an extended period of time, you know the answer too. Life is slower paced here. Things are a little more carefree here. Sure, it's crowded and hot.. especially in the summertime, but when you really embrace all that Mexico has to offer, you really treat yourself to an experience that those who never venture out of the US get to know. The US has scared the crap out of its citizens. Americans think that Mexico is a horrible place to come to. I did too. The first time I came here, I tried to find a place in my car to hide my money because I was terrified that I was going to be pulled over by the police and they'd take it all. SERIOUSLY?! I've never told anyone that until now. But now I look back and laugh. My head was so full of all of the horror stories that I had heard through the years.

But what happened after coming here? I instantly fell in love with Mexico (and my fiance, but that's another post, another time!). It felt like my own little world and I never wanted to leave. After being here a while, I started to explore and I actually met TONS of chicks who spoke English and were going through the same things I was. Over the years, I have gotten to know so many amazing American women who are now living in various parts of Mexico. Every day on Facebook, I read their stories of how they're enjoying Mexico and I'm laughing at the #gringosnmexico posts that friends are constantly posting. No one outside of this bubble we're in gets it. I welcome everyone to come into the bubble and see what it's like first hand. You really don't know what you're missing out on. I just want to thank all of my south of the border sisters for being a part of my life and constantly reminding me that where we are is an amazing place full of amazing, hard-working people who love to throw fiestas, even on weeknights. A place where the beaches aren't crazy packed and you feel like the whole place is yours alone. A place where you can slow down and not be so uptight. We all need a little more of this stuff in our lives and I am making it a priority to embrace more of this stuff myself.

Yesterday, I found out that a man I know of who has a terminal medical condition has decided that he wants to come to Mexico to die. He loves it here. He gets it. I love that he's made this decision!!!

It's been almost 2 years (to the date) of my last post. But I'm back. And I'm staying back. I've missed you all!

1 comment: